B.C.’s coastal communities are divided into five notification zones:
- Zone A (North Coast and Haida Gwaii)
- Zone B (Central Coast and Northeast Vancouver Island Coast, including Kitimat, Bella Coola and Port Hardy)
- Zone C (Outer West Coast of Vancouver Island from Cape Scott to Port Renfrew)
- Zone D (Juan de Fuca Strait from Jordan River to Greater Victoria, including the Saanich Peninsula)
- Zone E (Strait of Georgia including the Gulf Islands, Greater Vancouver and Johnstone Strait)
Quadra Island is within Zone E.
Fortunately, the risk to Quadra Island from a tsunami is quite low when compared to other parts of the BC coast: